How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jacy Your Own Question
Jacy, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 568
Experience:  Nine years individual income tax preparation and consulting
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Jacy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im in the middle of a short-sale with no results on my prior

Resolved Question:

I'm in the middle of a short-sale with no results on my prior residence on which I put $100K down payment. I bought a condo for cash with IRA money and currently reside in the condo.
1. Is there a way to show the $100k down on my original house as a loss when it sells?
2. What can I do to not pay or pay less than the $60K I'll owe on the IRA money this tax year?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jacy replied 6 years ago.



Unfortunately, I have to agree with your CPA.


1. A loss on a personal residence is not deductible, just as gain may be excludable from tax.


2. There is no way to get out of tax on an IRA distribution unless it is rolled over within the 60 day period. Most strategies for reducing tax involve spending money, like making a deductible charitable contribution or an IRA contribution.


Sorry for the bad news.


Please Reply if I can help you further.


Thank you!



Jacy and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions