Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

I want to short sell my condo but since I was burdened by the

I want to short sell my condo but since I was burdened by the payment amount I rented it out and am living with family and use the rent to help with the payment even though it leaves an $1100.00 deficit. My question is: would I have tax liability from 1099's from the lender since even though it's my only property I own it's not owner-occupied? I heard another way I wouldn't have tax liability is if I'm insolvent where my debts exceed my assets, is this true? If that's the case then I am insolvent.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Good evening. There is an insolvency exclusion. Under the IRS rules as set forth on Form 982, you are considered as insolvent to the extent that your liabilities exceeded the fair market value (FMV) of your assets immediately before the discharge.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.