Jacy, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Nine years individual income tax preparation and consulting

My sister has worked many food service jobs since she was 16

My sister has worked many food service jobs since she was 16 years old and has moved numerous time. Over time even though she has paid as single no dependents, she has not filed returns for some time. What does she need to do?

If your sister does not have the W-2's and any other income documents, she will need to visit her local IRS office to get a Transcript for each of the past three years. (2007,2008, and 2009). These are the years that are still open for getting a refund. The Transcript will contain the information she needs to file the returns. Some IRS offices offer Taxpayer assistance with filing the returns. If there is not an office nearby, she can get the Transcripts by calling(NNN) NNN-NNNNor by filing form 4506-T.

The IRS will probably not require her to go back farther than this unless the returns are showing balances due. Hopefully, she has refunds coming.

Please click Reply if I can help you further.

Thank you!