Jacy, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Nine years individual income tax preparation and consulting

I recently retired from the Federal Govt. and have a TSP acct.(401)

I recently retired from the Federal Govt. and have a TSP acct.(401) that I would like to roll over into my exsisting Roth IRA.My husband is disabled and receiving tax free income. My thinking is that this is probably the lowest my tax burden will be.(2010) I also have a daughter who is a senior in college so this my last year to claim her as a dependent .
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jacy replied 5 years ago.

In order to make this decision, you need to compare your taxable income so far this year, to what it will be in future years. If you recently retired, you must have some wage earnings this year and possibly pension income. If you would like to know how much tax there will be on the rollover, I will need to know how much income you will have for this year and how much the rollover will be.

None of us yet know what tax rates will be for next year, but hopefully will not be higher for most people.

I am not sure I have answered your question. Please click Reply if you want to give me additional information or clarification of your question.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My taxable income for this year will be 30K with 3 dependents, filling jointly (no income for my spouse). The TSP I want to roll over is 70K. Again I think this will be my lowest tax year because my husband will start being taxed on his pension in 2011.
Expert:  Jacy replied 5 years ago.

I'm not sure if you meant 3 dependents in addition to you and your husband, or three total. If you meant three total, you will pay around $12,000. Subtract from that any tax withholding from your paychecks, $1,000 per child credit for those 16 or under, and possibly education credits for the one in college. You will also pay state income tax of 4.75%. I did not factor in deductions you may have if you itemize.

Also, you did not say your age, but it the TSP distribution is considered "early", then there will be an additional 10% tax.

Hope this is helpful. Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.

Edited by Jacy on 11/2/2010 at 1:04 AM EST