Brenda Guy
Brenda Guy, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  20 years of working with income and estate tax issues for families and businesses.

My employer told me that due to the economy I had to relocate

My employer told me that due to the economy I had to relocate to Medford Oregon from Sacramento to follow the work or take a severance package , they gave me 3000.00 I relocated to Medford, When i tried to sell my house I owed more than it was worth due to the economy, they told me i could short sell it So I work in Medford oregon but still reside in Sacramento I am a truck driver so I go home every 2 weeks. I claimed 4ooo.oo on my taxes for a moving expense now the IRS wants to know if I live in California or Oregon. I pay california state income tax still. Question was my relocation under the curcumstances a tax deduction? Is the rental in Oregon a business expense? I am paying rent in oregon and a mortage in Californisa My wife is still in California
Category: Tax
Expert:  Brenda Guy replied 5 years ago.

You have found yourself trapped by today's economy. The rental in Oregon can only be a business expense if you are there temporarily. From what you describe you are not.

For now you are an Oregon resident and your wife is a California resident. The moving expense is deductible for you.

You and your wife will file joint for federal and separate for California. You will file in Oregon and she will file in California.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My employer still has my place of residence in California I am paying california state taxes weekly out of my check further more i went to school to get a license to carry a firearm to change from a truck driver to an armored car driver trying to get back to california is this tax deductable or the milkeage going back to sac to go home every 2 weeks I do not like it here and i am trying toseek employment back is sacramento

Licensing for the firearm is an expense of obtaining new employment. Job search expenses are deductible. So keep track of your efforts to seek employment in CA. That can make some or all of the mileage from Oregon to CA deductible job search expense.

I would have your Employer change your residence to the Oregon address for the time being. It would be beneficial to you tax wise.

Good luck with the job change.