How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wendy Reed Your Own Question
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3346
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wendy Reed is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We own 250 shares of SLE common stock from over 13 years ago

This answer was rated:

We own 250 shares of SLE common stock from over 13 years ago that are now worth about $3500 that we want to sell. They were purchased quarterly at a 15% employee discount & most records of their original cost are missing. Is there any way to avoid some costly research by a tax expert to figure their gains/losses plus any other tax headaches their sale would entail? Could the research possibly be avoided by gifting them to our church or transferring them to either of our two sons? Our 20 year-old-son is a tax dependent in college & we currently owe our 30 year-old-son $3525 (to fairly balance out the support paid to our college bound son). We normally prepare & file our own income taxes with the help of TaxACT with minimal difficulty and would prefer to continue with this inexpensive option. Please provide your expert advice that will allow us to finally move forward with this dilemma. Thanks!

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I will give the best answer that I can with the information provided.


Hi there,

Although it seems as if a tax expert could help you to figure gain and loss, the tax expert cannot do that without basis information, and that is what you are missing. The tax expert cannot find your basis information because your brokerage records are confidential. I am assuming that you have already tried to track down that information and have not found it?


You have two choices without basis information. You can either use $0 as the basis amount and pay tax on the full sale price (not as bad as it sounds as capital gain rates vary from 0-15% based on your other income) OR take the information you have and give your best estimate as to the basis.


The second choice is what I sometimes assist customers in doing. For example, if you know that the 250 shares were purchased approx. 13 years ago, you can use historical pricing. You could look at the range of prices over the approximate year or two years that you think the shares were purchased, and use the highest price of the stock to calculate your basis. Such as---The stock's highest price between 1996 and 1997 was $8.00. That would make your basis in the stock $1700 (250 X $8 minus 15% discount).

This is a conservative approach.


You could gift the stocks to either your church (in which case you would generally get a deduction) or to a family member (no deduction for gift to family member).


However, if you gift the stock to your son, when he sells it--he will need to know your basis in the stock to figure his gain or you are back to square one.


I think that the easiest approach would be to contact the holder of the stock (brokerage or employer) and tell them you need basis info (even if you have to pay a small fee) and if not---reconstruct it with your best estimate, and report the gain yourself.


Please let me know if you need additional information.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

First off, to hopefully simplify things, we have NEVER redeemed any of the SLE common stock purchased & there was NEVER a break in or lowered amount of contributions toward the employee discount program once starting the plan. Our incomplete records indicate contributions toward the purchase of SLE stock as $25 weekly on 12/25/94, $30 weekly on 12/26/96, & $30 weekly on 08/03/97 according to old SLE pay stubs... missing 2005 & making some sense with my 08/01/97 employment departure. The one & only SLE Employee Stock Purchase Plan Quarterly Statement available indicates an 08/05/06 closing balance of $14.45 with 91 book shares. It also concludes that 12 shares were purchased on 02/05/96 with a $25.1812 Purchase Price per Share ($32.8750 Market Value per Share), 12 shares were purchased on 05/06/96 with a $26.1375 Purchase Price per Share ($30.75 Market Value per Share), & 8 shares were purchased on 08/05/96 with a $26.1375 Purchase Price per Share ($32.3125 Market Value per Share). Understanding the last SLE 2 for 1 stock split was in Dec 1998 (after I resigned) indicates that we had accumulated 125 shares by 08/03/07 to own 250 shares now. Considering this scarce information, wouldn't it be extremely safe to declare a very conservative cost of $25 for 1994 (1 check @ $25), $1,300 for 1995 (52 checks @ $25), $1,305 for 1996 (51 checks @ $25 + 1 check @ $30) & $930 for 1997 (31 checks @ $30) totaling $3560 as an estimated cost basis when redeeming the 250 SLE shares? That is the “very minimum” that could have possibly been paid & would be our best conservative estimate as to the cost basis according to the information we still have AND MUCH BETTER than claiming $0 as the basis amount. Would these flimsy calculations satisfy the IRS during an audit? Are we underestimating the cost too much? SLE closed @ $14.26 today giving a $3565 value on 250 shares (currently reflecting a mere $5 gain). Thanks for your continued expertise on this issue!

I think you have a great understanding of how this works and a good amount of information, even if it is not complete. You also understand the concept of a stock split and how that led to the amount of shares that you have now.


There is legislation to require brokers to report cost basis, but there are loopholes when stocks changed brokers and brokers claim not to have all cost basis info.


Since you have actual written records of much of the stock purchases, and you are willing to report the minimum that could possibly have been paid, I don't consider this flimsy at all, and I doubt that it would trigger an audit (although one can never be 100% sure of not being audited). In this financial climate, most folks have losses or pitiful gains on their stocks and mutual funds, so your calculations do not seem unreasonable.


I have done this same type of patchwork and conservative estimates with my own tax clients. Sometimes you can only do your best and that has to be good enough.


Let me know if you have any additional concerns.

Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3346
Experience: 15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
Wendy Reed and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience