How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 53510
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how to fill out form 982 to offset the effect of 1099-C cancellation

Customer Question

how to fill out form 982 to offset the effect of 1099-C cancellation of debt. I have not gotten an answer to my question!

How long do I have to wait for an answer?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Good morning. Was your cancellation due to the forgiveness of debt on your principal residence? How much was the amount of the forgiveness on your 1099-C? Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, they're all investment proprties.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately, if they are investment properties, you are not eligible to exclude the 1099 income from being taxable. The Tax Act is only applicable to debt forgiven with respect to your principal residence. As a result, Form 982 has no applicability. I'm sorry!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This is an insolvency case. The for 982 clearly staes the amount excludible from taxable income due to insolvency. In other words, if the assets are less than the indebtness reported, then you can exlucde them from income. However, when I fill out the form 982, it does not reflect on page 1 of 1040 to offset the effect of 1099-C

which is in the Mis. income section. If this was a resdential property, it would not be a problem because there is exclusion for principal residence right after the 1099-C box.


Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Ahhh....Thanks for the additional information. I am late for a meeting, but will answer this for you as soon as I return.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will wait for an answer from you. Thanks,
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Sorry for the delay. When you fill out the Form 982, you simply fill complete Line 1b and Line 2. Then that is the amount excluded from income. You simply exclude that amount from being reported in income on your 1040 income line so you do not have to deduct it somewhere else. Form 982 simply justifies why you did not include the 1099 amount in the income line.



I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!


If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.


If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.


The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

If 1099-C has been issued to a name and SS#, how would you not show that that has not been reported. The amount of 1099-C is $687,745. Wouldn't IRS send you a letter that you have not included this amount in your income. I think there must be a mechanism in 982 that would offset the 1099-C income in page 1 of 1040.!

Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

You can include a note if you want, but that is what Form 982 is specifically put the IRS on notice as to why it is excluded. Form 982 was designed specifically for this purpose.




Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This is what I came up with by calling the Le Ceret Software comany. The amount of indebtness has to be zeroed out by the the following action:


  • Go to Screen 14.1, Miscellaneous Income
  • Select Alimony and Other Income in the Section box on the left side of the screen
  • Enter the appropriate amount in the Cancellation of debt (1099-C) field, code 64
  • Enter the amount as a negative with a description in "Other income" (Ctrl+E), code 11
  • A statement will be generated for Form 1040 Line 21 that shows amounts offsetting each other
  • Let me know if this makes sense to you. Thanks,

    Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
    That will work...I've not seen it done that way.. But, the botXXXXX XXXXXne on this is that as long as it is validly shown on your return, it is going to be acceptable to the IRS.

    JustAnswer in the News:

    Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
    Web sites like
    ...leave nothing to chance.
    Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
    Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
    I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

    What Customers are Saying:

    • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
    < Previous | Next >
    • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
    • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
    • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
    • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
    • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
    • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
    • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

    Meet The Experts:

    • Wallstreet Esq.

      Wallstreet Esq.

      Tax Attorney

      Satisfied Customers:

      10 years experience
    < Last | Next >
    • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

      Wallstreet Esq.

      Tax Attorney

      Satisfied Customers:

      10 years experience
    • Mark D's Avatar

      Mark D

      Enrolled Agent

      Satisfied Customers:

      MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
    • Richard's Avatar


      Tax Attorney

      Satisfied Customers:

      29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
    • Robin D.'s Avatar

      Robin D.

      Senior Tax Advisor 4

      Satisfied Customers:

      15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
    • Megan C's Avatar

      Megan C

      Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

      Satisfied Customers:

      Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
    • jgordosea's Avatar


      Enrolled Agent

      Satisfied Customers:

      I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
    • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

      R. Klein, EA

      Enrolled Agent

      Satisfied Customers:

      Over 20 Years experience