socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

what is the procedure for gifting money to family tax free

Category: Tax
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.
Any person can give up to $13,000 per year to any other person, tax free and without reporting the gift to the IRS. For example, two parents with three children could give each child $13,000, per year, and since there are two parents, that would be $26,000 to each child, total.

For gifts in excess of $13,000 to any one person, the donor must report the gift to the IRS on Form 709. The maximum aggregate lifetime gift to all donees is $1,000,000.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney (or, for the purpose of obtaining debt relief counseling under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code); (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.