How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxMomNJ Your Own Question
TaxMomNJ, Senior Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 245
Experience:  7 years experience with tax preparation company, over 500 hours of tax courses taken
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxMomNJ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My residence is in texas but I took a job in NC. I have to

Resolved Question:

My residence is in texas but I took a job in NC. I have to keep my residence in texas until July due to leases. I will have to get an apartment in North Carolina and commute home to texas until july. Essentially I will be paying for 2 residences. Is there anything I can deduct from these costs?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TaxMomNJ replied 6 years ago.



You cannot deduct the costs of either residence as a business expense. If you look at Publication 463,, which covers travel expenses, you cannot take any deduction if your tax home is away from your family home. Your tax home is where you are earning income, which is NC in your case. Your family home is in TX.


However, you can take moving expenses, as long as you pay for your move and incur the expenses within 1 year of taking the new job. See Publication 521, There are many expenses that you can deduct, including the cost of your move and your family's move, if they are done at two separate times.


Please let me know if I can assist you further.

TaxMomNJ and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you