CGCPA
CGCPA, CPA
Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters
50756543

The American Seminars Institute offers courses in my medical

The American Seminars Institute offers courses in my medical field. The implication is that the coursework can be mailed to any location and if coursework performed at that location, travel expenses will be deductible. I'm sure this has been challenged somewhere. Do you have any opinions or references on this topic?
Category: Tax
Expert:  CGCPA replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Charles Greiner :

In my opinion this is highly questionable. Self study does not require travel, lodging, etc like some seminars. Those seminars are considered deductible business expenses as are related costs. The general rule is that for an expense to be deductible as a business expense it must be reasonable, ordinary, and necessary for the conduct of business. I would use those guidelines carefully since they are the guides IRS auditors follow.

JACUSTOMER-0x1abe1p- :

Your response is similar to what my accountant said. However, this company, American Seminars Institute has been touting their method as a great way to obtain credits and travel. Is there a source to see if this specific company and their method has been challenged in court?

Charles Greiner :

I have no way of checking this for you. I would, however, ask them to provide the proof that their way works , has been tested, and survived the test.

JACUSTOMER-0x1abe1p- : Thank you. You have answered my question
Charles Greiner :

Now that your question has been answered, please click the accept button. I do not get paid until you do this. Thank you for letting me assist you.