Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses

I am a employee for a US based company and will be traveling

I am a employee for a US based company and will be traveling to work in Afghanistan on a 90 day on- 90 day off schedule. Our client provides all travel, meals and accomadations. I will return to USA each 90 day tour. I am paid in the US to my US bank account. Do I have any tax concerns outside of my normal Federal and State??
Category: Tax
Expert:  Anne replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for using jutanswer. As a US citizen ( or Resident Alien) you are required to report, and pay taxes on word wide income. Please see below;

Publication 54 (2009), Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad

I hope this helps
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Are there any additional taxes (ie: Afghanistan) or such beyond my normal state/federal?
Expert:  Anne replied 6 years ago.
Hi again

First, we have no tax treaty with Afghanistan (I checked), so that means if they also have a tax system, then you may have to pay them taxes on the money you earn there. Should that happen, there is a credit for paying tax on the same money to more than one country, and you would claim that credit by filing 2009 Form 1116 Foreign Tax Credit

You mentioned that you are an employee, and that your paychecks are direct depoisted, I hope you get a copy also, so that you can see if your employer is taking taxes, (especially Social Security and Medicare). If he isn't taking these taxes out, you will need to file
2009 Form 1040 (Schedule SE)Self-Employment Tax.

I hope this helps