Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  22 years of tax preparation experience, including individual, trust, and estate returns.

I am a Canadian citizen that works over seas. I do not own

I am a Canadian citizen that works over seas. I do not own anything in Canada nor do i live there. I travel a lot. I understand that if i become a resident of the Dominican Republic they have a tax treaty with Canada and then I would not need to pay taxes on any money made outside the country. I work in Asia. Can i declare taxes in the Dominican and would the Canadian government be ok with this? Is this true that in the Dominican Republic you do not have to pay taxes on money made outside the country?

My other option is Australia. What are Australia's tax laws on residents making money outside the country. I know that the UK states if you are outside the country for more than 180 days a year you not not need to pay taxes on money made outside the country. Does Australia have any laws like this?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Arthur Rubin replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Arthur Rubin :

I can't help you with Australia or the Dominican Republic, but Canada only taxes residents and "deemed residents", not non-resident citizens.

Arthur Rubin :

If you have no "permanent residence" in Canada, spend less than 182 days in the country, and earn no money while in the country, then you are almost certainly not subject to Canadian or provencial income tax.

Arthur Rubin :

I'd need to know whether answering just the Canadian tax question would be adequate, before I go into more detail, with cites to CRA documents.

Arthur Rubin :

Sorry, I was wrong about "permanent residence"; the term used by CRA is "residential ties", which includes property owned in Canada. However, it seems likely that you are not a Canadian resident, from what you said.

If you want information as to Australia or DR taxes, I'll have to opt out.