Jacy
Jacy, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Nine years individual income tax preparation and consulting
50725912

I have supported my stepson(live in) for two years. He is a

I have supported my stepson(live in) for two years. He is a drug addict and my wife and I have expended thousands of dollars toward his treatment. He has not worked therefore not contributed anything to help out with his support. He is 27 yrs old so the question would be can we claim him as a dependant on our joint filing? Can we claim any of our expenses toward his treatment? Thanks for any information you may provide me.

Bob
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jacy replied 6 years ago.

You may claim the exemption for you son if he does not earn more than $3,650. You can generally include medical expenses as a deduction for anyone who is your dependent at the time the expense was incurred or paid. Treatment for addiction qualifies.

Remember, you must itemize to take medical deductions AND you only get the amount that exceeds 7.5% of your Adjusted Gross Income as a deduction.

Good luck with this situation.

I hope this has been helpful to you.

If I have adequately answered your question,
please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work.

If you need more information after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to help you further. Thanks!