socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

How do I file for the $8000 tax rebate after purchasing a home

Customer Question

How do I file for the $8000 tax rebate after purchasing a home in May 2010 when I haven't been filing because I had no earned income for several years. I think someone filed for it and received it when I should have been the one to receive it.
Category: Tax
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.
If the date that title to the property was recorded in your name is XXXXX XXXXX 30, 2010, and before October 1, 2010, you must have entered into a binding contract before May 1, 2010, to purchase the home before July 1, 2010.

Assuming that you qualify for the credit, then you would fill out and attach a form 5405 to your 2010 personal income tax return.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney (or, for the purpose of obtaining debt relief counseling under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code); (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.