Jacy, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Nine years individual income tax preparation and consulting

Bought a beach house in August and spent a month fixing it

Bought a beach house in August and spent a month fixing it up for rental. Now late in the season, I haven't been able to rent it yet. Will my expenses still be deductable without rental income?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jacy replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Jacy :

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You tried to chat?
Expert:  Jacy replied 6 years ago.

The answer is yes and no. You must add the expenses to get the property ready to rent to the cost basis (depreciable basis) of the house. Once the rental is available for rent, all of the expenses after that date are a deduction against rental income for the year. You may take these deductions even if you have no rental income this year.

Keep in mind that rental losses are limited to $25,000 per year, and not allowed to be currently deducted if your other income is above the limit. ($75,000 Single, $150,000 Married)

Hope this has been helpful to you.

If I have adequately answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button. If I can be of further assistance, please click Reply.