Jacy
Jacy, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Nine years individual income tax preparation and consulting
50725912

Im a freelance writer and editor. The majority of my work

I'm a freelance writer and editor. The majority of my work is for websites. Can I write off an iPad as a business expense as well as the monthly data plan associated with it if I use it primarily for work-related activities? (I don't have my own business set up at this time.)
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jacy replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Jacy :

JACUSTOMER-cko0ulgn- :

hi

Jacy :

Yes, you can take a depreciation deduction or elect to write off the entire cost in the year of purchase under Section 179. However, if the iPad is not 100% business use, please reasonably estimate the business use percentage and only write off that portion.

JACUSTOMER-cko0ulgn- :

Great, thanks so much. Could the monthly data plan be included in this as well?

Jacy :

The monthly plan should be pro-rated by that same business use percentage. All costs associated with your writing should be deducted from your writing income to lower you self-employment tax.

Jacy :

I hope this has been helpful to you.

If I have adequately answered your question, please click the GREEN ACCEPT button.
If you need more information after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to help you further. Thanks!

JACUSTOMER-cko0ulgn- :

This has been very helpful. Thank you.