CGCPA
CGCPA, CPA
Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters
50756543

Who do I ask to get a 2002 tax debt negotiated or reconciled

Who do I ask to get a 2002 tax debt negotiated or reconciled? I've been making 365/mo payments for years. I'm now 89. The tax debt will outlast me. I'd rather spend the 365/mo on medicine and comfort.
[email protected]
Category: Tax
Expert:  CGCPA replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Charles Greiner :

If the debt is with the IRS you can call the and speak to someone directly. Look inyour local telephone book for the office nearest you. If a state obligation you can do the same but look up your state tax agency. You should explain that you have been paying this for a long time and, if accurate, that you have never neen late or missed a payment.You should also let them know your age and that with these payments you are having difficulty buying prescriptions. They maky make arrangements more to your liking. Another option is to call a local CPA or tax attorney and ask them to help arrange a more favorable payment plan or prepare an offer in comromise. With an offer in compromise the IRS/state tax people can reduce the remaining debt to as low as 10%. I would try the phone call method first since CPA's and tax attorneys charge for what they do. i know that because I am a CPA.