How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 585
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an employer and my company offers HSA plans to our California

Customer Question

I am an employer and my company offers HSA plans to our California employees. we make contributions to the HSA accounts. I understand that these are taxed under CA tax do i account for these taxes in payroll?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  RD replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
RD :

Do you run your own payroll? or have a payroll service providing the services?

Customer : Have payroll service
RD :

Employer contributions to employee HSAs are a business expense and are tax deductible to the employer for federal tax purposes.

RD :

Also employer contributions to employee HSAs are exempt from Social Security taxes, Medicare taxes and
Federal Unemployment Insurance taxes.

Customer : Do u have some guidance?
Customer : The question is in California the contributions are taxable on state taxes to the employee. How do I show the taxable portion? By pay period or wait and put on w2
RD :

The taxable portion (contribution by employer to HSA account) will be reported on Form W-2 (Box 12 with code W). This will be added to the adjusted gross income by the employee when filing the CA State tax return.

RD :

Here is a link to the CA income tax instructions-

RD :