Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor

We were dog breeders, selling wholesale to brokers. We got

Customer Question

We were dog breeders, selling wholesale to brokers. We got a letter from IA Sales tax wanting our pin number and back taxes. We didn't know you had to have a tax permit when selling dogs wholesale?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience: 15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Expert:  Robin D. replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 3 years ago.

Hello and let me begin by apologizing for any problems with this new feature "Chat".

Your answer was posted but to be honest I do not know where it went now.

As far as a dog breeder and the tax due to Iowa, yes, this type of business is required to collect sales tax even if you are selling at wholesale.

"Most horses, mules, dogs, cats, other pets, racing animals, and other creatures not generally associated with agricultural production are subject to sales tax, unless purchased to be immediately offered for resale."

Since you are breeding the dogs then you are required to collect the sales tax due.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How can something be taxed twice or three times? The broker charges sales tax and the pet store also charges sales tax, that would make one puppy taxed three times.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 3 years ago.

Unless you are given an exception certificate by the buyer you are to collect the sales tax. You are still required to report the tax on your sales tax return even if you accept exemption certificates. Iowa sees them as tangible property and not livestock.

The state appears to be cracking down on puppy sales and individuals that breed puppies for retail and wholesale in all facets of the industry.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We started raising puppies in 1980 and when we got our Iowa license we were not told to charge sales tax, we were federal and state licensed. Could we be grandfathered in?
Expert:  Robin D. replied 3 years ago.

I have not read anything where Iowa offers a Grandfather Clause on Sales tax. I would think you best chance would be to show the stores where you sold the puppies to and see if the exemption certificates for those stores can be retroactive to the date you started the wholesale to them. Since the stores themselves would need to show the Sales Tax themselves they should have records of the dealings with you.