Jacy, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Nine years individual income tax preparation and consulting

My had to quit work in February 2009. She was 58 years old.

My had to quit work in February 2009. She was 58 years old. Upon leaving employment we consolidated various 401k and 403b plans into an IRA with Scottrade. Later that same year, we had to make a withdrawal. I understand that if the cash withdrawal had been made directly from the 401k/403s, then the 10% penalty would not apply. Rules say that this waiver of the penalty does not apply to IRAs. However, since all of this took place within the same year, can it be treated as a 401k/403b withdrawal to avoid the penalty?

Thank you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jacy replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Jacy :

Jacy :

This depends on how the accounts were opened. If the funds were rolled directly from the 401k/403b plans, I think you are stuck with the penalty. If the any of the distributions were not direct, your IRA custodian may be able to recharacterize the rollover contribution from IRA to Roth IRA. This would make that portion of the contribution taxable at the time of distribution of the qualified plan, and thus not subject to the 10% penalty.

Jacy :

I hope this has been helpful to you.

If I have adequately answered your question,
please click the GREEN ACCEPT button. If you need more information after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to help you further. Thanks!

Expert:  Jacy replied 6 years ago.

Please excuse the multiple response. The chat function seemed to have stalled.