Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

we have been taking more exemptions because we have been saving

we have been taking more exemptions because we have been saving for a downpayment on a house. We are now scheduled to close on the house Oct 22nd. However, we estimate that we will be behind/owe $20,000 in taxes. We will have $10 to $12,000 of that amount after all the moving/closing costs are completed.
Our question is what is the best way to pay this off? We will be able to save up and pay off several thousand dollars more (but probably not the full $20,000. Also, do we have to (mostly) have it paid off by the end of the year or by April 15th? We have excellent credit scores and very good income/debt ratios, we simply calculated that putting down the full 20% on our house was worth handling our taxes this way. Thanks!
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Good morning. The best way for you to deal with this is to contact the IRS and work out an intallment payment arrangement. The IRS is used to this and is pretty willing to work with you. You should download Form 433-A off the IRS website in preparation of this because this is the form you will need to submit. Also, because of the amount, you can also just arrange to delay the payment up to 90 days.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience: 29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.