Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.

Im in the 10 percent tax bracket. My mother deeded me 136

I'm in the 10 percent tax bracket. My mother deeded me 136 acres of farmland with our family home for $5.00 love and affection 3 years ago. 6 months ago my brother gave me a quitclaim deed for any rights he may have in 101 acres of the land and I gave him a quitclaim deed for any rights I may have in 35 acres of the land to settle a legal law suit or land disput between us. Say I sell my 101 acres of the farmland and home to a big company for 5 million dollars and close the deal before December 31, 2010. How much would I have to pay in long term capital gains or what percentage of the 5 million dollars would I owe in taxes. Would my long term capital gains be 0% or 5% or 10% or 15% of the 5 million. Approximately how mch in taxes would I owe the IRS. I live in SC so I would also owe what percentage in state tax. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Good evening. You would pay long term capital gains tax of 15% times the gain at the federal level. Your gain amount would be $5,000,000 less whatever your mother's basis in the 101 acres was as it carried over to you when she gifted it to you. You would pay tax at the rate of 3.92% in SC state tax.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.