Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.

Is there a statute of limitations for sales tax in Oklahoma

Is there a statute of limitations for sales tax in Oklahoma? I received a request for payment from an old sales tax bill (from 1988) via a law firm that represents the Oklahoma Sales Tax commission.

Good evening. Yes, the statute of limitations is the later of three years from the date the return was due or from the date the return was filed.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Follow-up, in your opinion, should I ignore the notice or seek legal help in responding their letter?
I would respond by telling them the statute of limitations has run and to not contact you again. Tell them if they contact you again it will be a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and you will report each violation to the Federal Trade Commission. Each violation carries with it a $1,000 fine so that should be the end of it. :)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the peace of mind! Great help.
My pleasure! You take care!