William Ellis, CPA
William Ellis, CPA, CPA
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience in public accounting
50200401

Im preparing a W2c for state wages reported. The correction

I'm preparing a W2c for state wages reported. The correction needs to be zero in box 16. I've seen the initials FC put in this box and I don't know what that means. The same employee had a corrected W2 for 2008 and it's the same issue. I didn't prepare the 2008 correction but have to prepare one for 2009. I don't want to mimic the prior year correction of FC in box 16 without knowing what it means. Please help. The IRS W2c instructions say "contact your state or locality for specific reporting information." Online research hasn't been helpful. Thanks
Category: Tax
Expert:  William Ellis, CPA replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
William Ellis, CPA :

Good morning. There is nothing in the instructions for Form W-2c to indicate entering anything but the amount for state wages. I would simply enter the correct amount there and submit this to your state's department. Hope this helps, Bill

JACUSTOMER-sxoh0rf3- :

And if the amount is zero, just leave it blank? The Instructions on W2c say for box 16 refer to state for specific reporting information. I can't find anything about state reporting. Specifically California.

William Ellis, CPA :

This is a federal form, so you won't find CA-specific items in the instructions. If the original W-2 showed CA wages, put that amount in the Previously Reported column and $0 in the Correct Information column. Don't forget to file a W-3C as well. Thanks, Bill

JACUSTOMER-sxoh0rf3- :

Got it, thanks