How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask BK-CPA Your Own Question
BK-CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 933
Experience:  Owner of a CPA firm
Type Your Tax Question Here...
BK-CPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I purchased a golf club membership (equity membership) seven

This answer was rated:

I purchased a golf club membership (equity membership) seven years ago for $165000 and sold it for $100000 this year. There were $60000 in transfer fees charged following the sale of the membership. May I deduct the loss, or any part of the loss from my taxable income?

Your golf membership is just a personal asset/expense (most are, unless you are a golf pro, etc.). Here is the tax code. I'm sorry I could not give you a better answer here. Thank you for your question.


§ 262. Personal, living, and family expenses


How Current is This?

(a) General rule Except as otherwise expressly provided in this chapter, no deduction shall be allowed for personal, living, or family expenses.



To the extent you have an investment in the club (like a share of stock that you plan to sell again), you could deduct a capital loss, yes. Again, here is the code:


(c) Limitation on losses of individuals In the case of an individual, the deduction under subsection (a) shall be limited to-


(1) losses incurred in a trade or business;


(2) losses incurred in any transaction entered into for profit, though not connected with a trade or business; and


(3) except as provided in subsection (h), losses of property not connected with a trade or business or a transaction entered into for profit, if such losses arise from fire, storm, shipwreck, or other casualty, or from theft.


Edited by BK-CPA on 9/11/2010 at 3:25 AM EST

(ie... it is likely a personal, non-deductible loss, to be clear)


See here (I agree w/ southparkcpa below):


<table border="0">

Kelly (talk|edits) said:

19 February 2008
hi--Two clients have rec'd 1099MISC for sale proceeds from golf club memberships. Now IRS has sent CP2000 to one. I had shown on Line 21 as other income then zeroed it out (it was a personal loss). Any ideas or experience with this? thanks Kelly!

Southparkcpa (talk|edits) said:

19 February 2008
I agree with you except I would have filed a schedule C and backed out the expense as a direct expense simply to avoid the CP notice.

It is a non deductible capital loss as I see it. The 1099 misc is issued incorrectly.

File a certified response, state your case and you should be fine.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I agree that club dues and expenses such as meals, tournament fees and the like would not be deductible unless I was a golf pro, which I am not.


Is an "equity membership" in a golf club construed to be "an investment" in the club by the IRS? Is there some specific language with the IRS that precludes an equity membership in a golf club from being classified as "an investment"? After purchasing the membership, the value of the membership rose above $250000, and then dropped to $100000. If the membership was sold for $250000, would my gain be taxed?

Unfortunately, gains on sales of personal assets are taxable, but losses generally are not deductible.


Sell your personal car, for example, and you'll pay tax on a gain, but you cannot deduct the loss. The same goes for a personal golf membership. You could say you "invested" in your car, could you not?... sorry. I have to remain conservative on this one. Maybe, if you found a local professional and had the right circumstances, it would be considered an investment and would be deductible, but I don't believe I'll be able to come to that conclusion here for you. I wish I could.


Thank you.



Edited by BK-CPA on 9/11/2010 at 3:59 AM EST
BK-CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 933
Experience: Owner of a CPA firm
BK-CPA and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience