Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

I lived in Arizona about five years ago and now reside in New

I lived in Arizona about five years ago and now reside in New Jersey. The State of Arizona is saying that I have delinquent income tax from over eight years ago. What can they do now that I live in NJ?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Hello JA Customer,

The state of AZ is no different than any other creditor that you may owe. If the tax debt is not settled, they can obtain a court judgment which will allow them to place a garnishment on your wages and levies on your bank accounts, home or other assets. It will not matter that you no longer live in AZ.

The state should, however, provide you with details on how they arrived at this delinquency. However it will still be up to you to show proof that taxes were paid for the period they say is delinquent.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. It is the only way we receive any credit for helping with these questions.

Thank you