socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

I am a 56 yr old male who has worked and contributed into the

Customer Question

I am a 56 yr old male who has worked and contributed into the system since I was 16. The last 6 years I was considered an officer of a small business in forming the corporation. We were forced to close the business to avoid bankrupcy. I was on payroll the entire time, collecting a paycheck and contributing to unemployment taxes. Do I have a case for appeal? Thank you
Category: Tax
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

Corporate officers who exert a "substantial amount of control" over their corporation are deemed self-employed and ineligible for unemployment benefits under Pennsylvania law.

You have two choices, either show that you did not exert substantial control, or actually file bankruptcy for the business, because there is a bankruptcy exception which requires that corporate officers receive unemployment benefits.

I can't say whether or not you can prevail -- but, apparently, whatever evidence you have provided thus far as not convinced the hearings officers. So, you either need a different tack, or you'll have to throw in the towel.

Please don't shoot the messenger. Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.