socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

Hi, My wife and I had a failed adoption last month where we

My wife and I had a failed adoption last month where we lost $9,000. But there has been another situation that has come up that will cost $25,000 and would be finalized next year (let's assume that this next one is successful). Someone told us that we can claim the $9,000 for the failed adoption and an additional $13,170 for the successful adoption. Do you understand this to be true?
Also, we were the ones who backed out of the original adoption so would it still fall under the category of "failed" adoption?
Category: Tax
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

A tax credit is available for adoption costs of an eligible child, whether or not the adoption actually succeeds.To qualify:

• The child must be under 18 years of age, or physically/mentally incapable of caring for him/herself;
  • If the adoption fails, then the child must be either a U.S. citizen or legal resident.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your answer. I guess my question is can we claim both...the 9k for the failed and the 13k for the successful?

Yes, if you actually expended the money for both.

Edited by socrateaser on 9/3/2010 at 8:09 PM EST