How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 38563
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Tax Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife died in January 2010. I am the beneficiary of her 403(b)

Customer Question

My wife died in January 2010. I am the beneficiary of her 403(b) account. Can the assetts be passed on to my son, secondary beneficiary? Can he put it in a new IRA in his name? What are the tax implications? Thanks
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

You can provide a qualified disclaimer to the plan administrator of the 403(b). This will make the contingent beneficiary, the beneficiary of the account, as if he were the primary beneficiary, and the primary beneficary will be treated as if he had predeceased the retirement account participant.


The account benefits will be taxable to the new beneficiary, to the extent that distributions are made. If the beneficiary is entitled under the employer's plan to rollover the account into an IRA, then that may defer tax liability.


Hope this helps.


Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My son is almost 40 years old. If the money is rolled over into his new "inherited IRA" would he have to start taking the distribution beginning now or till he is 70.5 years of age? Would he be taxed before the money is put in the new IRA account? I am trying to figure out what is the better thing to do to save tax expenses. Seems to me the ideal situation to be in would be to have the money in his new "IRA inherited ac" from which the withdrawls are not due till he is 70.5 years old. Can that be done?
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

He would have to start taking MRDs immediately. There is no tax liability, if the account is treated as a "trustee-to-trustee" transfer, which means that it's not actually a new IRA, but rather the beneficiary of the account is treated as if he/she were the deceased participant.