How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask BK-CPA Your Own Question
BK-CPA , Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 933
Experience:  Owner of a CPA firm
Type Your Tax Question Here...
BK-CPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a client who had a gift shop (Schedule C). Unknown

Customer Question

I have a client who had a gift shop (Schedule C). Unknown to me and everyone, she was suffering from dimentia and today is in a home. This info is only for background. After many notifications, the IRS redid her 2005 and 2006 tax returns, disallowing $36K in rent for her location and all cost of goods, resulting in a tax lien on her home. I have since been retained by her representatives (since I prepared 2005 and 2006 returns) to try to resolve the almost $70K in tax liens on her home which is being sold. I have a transcript of the IRS calculations showing their calculations. Also, since 2005 she has been supporting a losing business with $250K reverse mortgage money.

My question is (which it is impossible to get the IRS to answer) (1) Is there any way to re-submit the returns with attached paperwork proving the expenses?

My solution, which is based on common sense and therefore probably not acceptable to the IRS, is to file an amended return showing their numbers and then the correct numbers, and attaching any proof of the expenses.

PS I went to a district office in person and the IRS agent hands me bulletins to read.

PS I am more than willing to pay for this answer - it means literally thousands of dollars to my client's representatives.

Jeanette Palmer
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  BK-CPA replied 5 years ago.

Pay attention to your statute of limitations (runs from return dates or the dates the tax is paid). I assume you are familiar with these rules as a preparer.


The proposed amendments by the IRS do not have to be accepted. They can and likely should be challenged just as you say (with an amended return if applicable, but otherwise just the supporting documentation for the originally filed tax return). IRS notices come with instructions for response and carry a special address for filing in the case of an amended return where the taxpayer is under audit.


If need be, you could potentially take this all the way to court. You first challenge, appeal within your time frames, etc. (I am not attuned to the specifics of your case in terms of dates, notices, etc.).


Your goal is to provide the correct documentation (noting the IRS substantiation requirements for ordinary and necessary business expenses, which I also assume you are familiar with as a preparer). No taxpayer should be made to unfairly pay tax, especially in a situation where they are going BK and have a medical condition as you begin to suggest, so definitely fight this tooth and nail. Find receipts, invoices, bank statements, credit card statements, ... everything you can get your hands on.


If you feel you are in over your head, or if you are not comfortable with the audit, appeals, liens / seizure of property, and court processes associated with an IRS audit, you should perhaps back down from the engagement. Again, I'm not attuned to the specifics. You said you got the pamphlets from the IRS, so I won't reproduce anything here unless you request it (in which case I would be happy to).


Thank you for your question.


BK-CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 933
Experience: Owner of a CPA firm
BK-CPA and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience

Related Tax Questions