Jesse Handel
Jesse Handel, Tax Preparer
Experience:  10 years tax preparation. IRS Registered Tax Preparer.

i Bought a car from denver at a auction for 3400 and its a

Customer Question

i Bought a car from denver at a auction for 3400 and its a 2009 pt cruiser and im brought it back to ny because i live here and im just wondering do i have to pay taxes on the cars blue book cost or the 3400 i paid for it?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jesse Handel replied 6 years ago.
Hello Customer. Thank you for coming to Just Answer and allowing us to help you with your question. As long as you have the receipt from the auction stating the price that you paid for the car, that value listed on the receipt will be the amount the state will use in calculating the sales tax that you have to pay on the car. So, the sales tax should be based on the $3400 you paid for the car. Your state and county may have additional registration fees, but sales taxes are based on the amount you actually paid.

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if you need any additional information or clarification.