How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 38506
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Tax Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter sells real estate. Her net profit was only $2238.

This answer was rated:

My daughter sells real estate. Her net profit was only $2238. from schedule C. Did not do any self employment tax.
She received a letter from IRS stating "income reported on line 12, form 1040 indicates you may be liable for Self-employment tax" "If you are not liable for self-employment tax please provide an explanation with your reply to this letter."

A friend did her tax's. I am trying to help her with this and try to figure out what her friend did.

Can my daughter use the nonfarm optional method. Her profits were less than 4721. Or am I totally in left field with this. What can she do?

You can use the nonfarm optional method if net profits from all self-employment (including K-1 material participant income) is less than $4,721 and also less than 72.189% of your gross nonfarm self-employment income.

To use this method, you also must be regularly self-employed. You meet this requirement if your actual net earnings from self-employment were $400 or more in 2 of the 3 years preceding the year you use the nonfarm optional method. The net earnings of $400 or more could be from either farm or nonfarm earnings or both.


Hope this helps.


Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I apologize. I don't understand most of what you said. In 2007 she had a net loss of$2673. and in 2008 she had a net loss of $299. Her net earnings were not 400. or more from self employment. What are her options? How does she respond to the IRS?

Based upon your stated facts, your daughter cannot use the optional nonfarm method, and she owes $316 in self-employment tax. She needs to either file an amended return with a Schedule SE filing, or she can accept the IRS finding and pay.


I'd like to say that there is some magic bullet here, but unless your daughter can find a few more expenses to put on an amended Schedule C, so as to reduce her income below $400, then she will have to pay the self-employment tax.


Please don't shoot the messenger.

socrateaser and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you