Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

I am selling my business for $1.9M and financing 60% of the

I am selling my business for $1.9M and financing 60% of the sale ($1.1.M) over 4 years. Would an interest rate of 5% pass muster with the IRS?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Hello JA Customer,

In order not to be charged "imputed" interest by the IRS, you should always charge at least the Applicable Federal Rate (AFR) for interest. That rate changes each month and varies depending on the term of the loan.

A loan with a maturity of more than 3 years but less than 9 years is considered a mid-term loan. For mid-terms loans originating in the month of September 2010, the AFR is 1.92% for monthly payments. So if you plan to charge 5%, you have more than covered what you need to charge for the IRS to consider this rate reasonable.

I am giving you a link below to the AFR rates published so far for the 2010 tax year.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. It is the only way we receive any credit for helping with these questions.

Thank you