How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D. , Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 12891
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what options do i have if i cant pay my property taxes in

Resolved Question:

what options do i have if i cant pay my property taxes in full?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.
If you have verified that the payments were not made to the county and you did not have an escrow account with the lender, then you need to pay the taxes as soon as possible.

Under Illinois law, property tax delinquencies may be sold at tax sale. If a delinquency remains unpaid and is sold at tax sale, the tax purchaser will hold a lien on the property. Removing such a lien will add hundreds, even thousands of dollars to the amount now due. Failure to pay (or "redeem") following a sale may ultimately lead to a loss of the property.

The Treasurer's Office mails delinquency notices to taxpayers. These include a final pre-tax-sale notice by certified mail to the taxpayer of record.

Under Illinois law, the penalty for late payments is 1.5% per month.

Be sure to refer to the schedule on the front of the tax bill to send only the one correct amount based on when you pay in person or based on the U.S.P.S. postmark if submitting payment by mail. Partial payments are not allowed.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX information is helpful,

JACUSTOMER-je3vhrsh- :

The taxes were suppose to be included in my payment because it was a goverment loan and from what the bank told me they had to excrow the taxes. So after the first year of living in the house i receive the tax notice of payment for $8000.00. I understand I should have looked at this closer but I was just curious if there was anything i could do. With that is my only option paying the full amout? I did notice that my morgage payment is higher now which tells me the taxes are escrowed. If you have any advice with this said please let me know.

Robin D :

If you have not checked with your mortgage company to insure that they have paid these do so immediately. Even if the lender paid the taxes you will receive a notice as duplicate.
Illinois advises the following:

There are several reasons you should receive your tax bill:

  1. Mortgage companies have access to an online system for paying on multiple properties with one electronic wire transfer and no bills.

  2. More importantly, the homeowner needs to receive the tax bill to be alerted if there is a delinquency, overpayment, refund, available exemption savings, assessment change, etc.

  3. If you receive the bill, you will be able to monitor your taxes if your lender re-sells the loan or if you refinance.

  4. You need to see whether you received all available assessment exemptions that reduce your taxes, as well as the amount due.

  5. The tax bill address also is used for annual exemption applications for programs that reduce the tax.

  6. If the amount deducted from your escrow for taxes does not match your tax bill, call the mortgage company to determine the reason. If the company paid on the wrong PIN, you must ask the company to reimburse your escrow and deduct only the correct amount to pay on your PIN.

  7. You should compare the PIN on your deed with the PIN on the tax bill and the PIN your mortgage company is using to pay.

  8. Go to Payment Status to verify the company has paid the full amount on your PIN(s). Prior to the due date, you may also check with your mortgage company to find out what PIN(s) it will be using to pay your taxes.

    Access the payment status on your county

Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 12891
Experience: 15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Robin D. and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience