Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I will be working in Qatar for a year beginning Sept 27, 2010.

I will be working in Qatar for a year beginning Sept 27, 2010. I will be a government employee (GS12) civilian. How much of my income will be tax free, and how much will I be taxed if I come home in April for my 30 days vacation?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Robin D :

The foreign earned income exclusion is not allowed for US Citizens that are employed by the US Government and work over seas.
IRC Section 911 covers the income exclusion for US Citizens. When a US citizen works abroad for a US company or a foreign company they are allowed to exclude the income up tot he limits for that year. The exception to this exclusion is when the US Citizen is employed by the US government as a direct employee.

Amounts paid by the United States or its agencies to persons who are not their employees may qualify for exclusion or deduction.
You may qualify to exclude from income up to $91,500 of your foreign earnings if you are out of the US for 330 days. If you are only in the US for the 30 day period then you would be able to exclude the full amount if you meet the employment restrictions listed at first of this message.
IRS Publication 54 explains the tax on US Citizens that work abroad. Here is a lin to that publication if you would like to read more about this subject:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p54.pdf
Thanks again,