socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I HAVE OWNED MY HOME SINCE 1972 AND AM COVERED BY PROP 13.

I HAVE OWNED MY HOME SINCE 1972 AND AM COVERED BY PROP 13. I AM 64 YEARS OLD AND RETIRED AND WANT REFINANCE MY HOME. I WAS TOLD MY INCOME WAS TOO LOW TO QUALIFY, UNLESS I HAVE A CO-SIGNOR. MY HUSBAND DIED 2 YEARS AGO AND HIS BROTHER HAS LIVED WITH US SINCE HE WAS 15. HE IS 53 AND WANTS TO CO=SIGN FOR MY LOAN OF APPROX. $60,000. MY QUESTION IS: IF MY BROTHER IN LAW CO-SIGNS WILL I LOSE THE PROP 13 TAX EXEMPTION? WILL HE BE PUT ON THE TITLE AND WILL THE PROPERTY TAX GO UP LIKE WITH A NEW OWNER? I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP OR ADVICE.

Neither adding your brother to the loan, nor adding him as a joint tenant on the deed, will cause a "change in ownership," which is the requirement for a reassessment of your property taxes.

However, once you put him on as a joint tenant, if he survives you, he will own the property outright after your death. So, if your goal is to leave the property to someone else, then you cannot add your brother to the deed.

There is no legal requirement that your brother be named on title for him to cosign on the loan. So, if the lender requires this in order for you to obtain the loan, then maybe you want to try a different lender.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I ALREADY HAVING A LIVING WILL AND MY BROTHER IN LAW IS THE BENEFICIARY OF MY ESTATE, INCLUDING THE HOUSE. IF I DIE WILL HE BE RESPONSIBLE FOR PAYING THE REMAINDER OF THE MORTGAGE?

Yes, because, he will take the property subject to the existing loan -- so, if he doesn't pay, then the property will be foreclosed.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

THANK YOU SOCRATEASER....YOU HAVE HELPED ME VERY MUCH. YOU ARE VERY KIND

You're welcome and good luck.