jgordosea
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
3653323

Can the IRS attach a persons pension, veterans benefits, and/or

Can the IRS attach a person's pension, veterans benefits, and/or social security to collect on taxes due.

Greetings,

Social Security benefit payments outlined in Title II of the Social Security Act, Federal Old-Age, Survivors, and Disability Insurance Benefits, are subject to levy to pay delinquent tax debt.

For more details see Social Security Benefits Eligible for the Federal Payment Levy Program

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="1">

The Federal Payment Levy Program can levy :

See also Publication 4418 (3-2008) The Federal Payment Levy Program and Publication 1494 (2010) Tables for Figuring Amount Exempt from Levy on Wages, Salary, and Other Income for more information.

The types of income you listed are not exempt from levy.

For items that are exempt (such as pension payments received by a person whose name has been entered on the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard Medal of Honor roll ) please see Treasury Regulations, Subchapter F, Sec. 301.6334-1

Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I read the materials you recommended. I found out that Social Security benefits can be levied, but only up to 15%. I couldn't find out if there was a similar percentage for pensions? Do you know?

Thanks,

Hello again,

No, there is no such percentage limit on levy for other sources of income, such as pension income.

Thank you.