Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

my husband passed away april 29, 2010 and was retired from

Customer Question

my husband passed away april 29, 2010 and was retired from END a divsion of GM. I am a surviving spouse entitled to a portion of his pension (1400.00 a month). He took a lesser amount of his pension so that I would have this surviving benefit. Is this amount taxable for me? Both federal & state. I am a resident of lexington, kentucky.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Hello Patricia,

Yes, this pension income will be taxable to you, the same as it was taxable to your husband. It will be taxable at both the federal and state levels.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. It is the only way we receive any questions for helping with these questions.

Thank you Patricia