Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

My wife is retired educator....however works to earn a partial

My wife is retired educator....however works to earn a partial salary that in turned is used to pay health insurance premiums...we have to declare this as income earned but 100% of it goes for medical expenses...How do I reflect this on tax return?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Hello JA Customer,

If your wife's employer is not providing her with any medical insurance benefits and she is simply paying these premiums on her own with the money she earns working part time, the only deduction you are allowed is to include the cost of those premiums as part of your medical expenses on Schedule A for your itemized deductions.

There is no other way to exclude or directly deduct the cost of these premiums.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. It is the only way we receive any credit for helping with these questions.

Thank you JA Customer