Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

Last year, because of his age, my grandfather gave me his 2003

Last year, because of his age, my grandfather gave me his 2003 vehicle as a gift. The car's title was transferred to my name without any problems. Recently, I received a Vehicle Sales and Use Tax document informing me that I owe $1500.00 to the Florida Department of Revenue.

Is there any way in which the this money can be legally voided? Wil it suffice if my grandfather writes a letter to this effect?

Thank you.

Hello JA Customer,

Sales tax is not applicable on a gift; however, a bill of sale or an affidavit with the full description of the vehicle (including vehicle identification number, title number, make, model, year, etc) should be completed by both parties to verify this information for the Department of Revenue. The bill of sale or affidavit should indicate that no money was exchanged and that the car was given to you as a gift.

If you have not already done so, you should prepare an affidavit with the above information and send it to the FL Department of Revenue along with a letter stating that the car was a gift from your grandfather and that no sales taxes should be due on the transfer.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. It is the only way we receive any credit for helping with these questions.

Thank you JA Customer