MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.

I just learned that a Minister can apply to opt out of Social

I just learned that a Minister can apply to opt out of Social Security and FICA taxes by filing Form 4361. But I'm pst the 2-year deadline for filing--I took a position as an assistant Minister in the fall of 2007.

Is there any recourse? If not, does it make sense to file anyway--maybe my application will slip through?

Dear hlxwyse8 -

If your returns for 2007 and 2008 included more than $400 of self employment income, the IRS will not qualify for the exemption. Filing the application will start a process that will include reviewing prior years returns.

Question 5 on the Form 4361 asks what years you had income. By stating 2007 & 2008 with a filing in 2010, your exemption should be automatically denied.