Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor

how can I include my 7 chihuahuas in the IRS They eat, have

Customer Question

how can I include my 7 chihuahuas in the IRS? They eat, have medical check ups like a person and it adds up, and but my CPA does not even mention nothing about my dogs. what can I do about it, please help meeeee, Thanks Ana
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

Your dogs could not be included as a dependent but if they are involved in your income by some fashion then it could be possible that they are and expense for tax purposes.

Show dog presenters, trial judges, dog agility trainers, among others are in a business that includes their animals. A proposed income tax deduction must meet 3 tests:
1) Is it documented? 2) Is it business related? 3) Is it reasonable?

Other than business expenses, you can include the cost of a guide dog, or animal, to be used by a vision-impaired or hearing-impaired person. You can also include the cost of care for these trained animals.

As of this writing there is no tax deduction for your personal pet. No matter how much we love them and care for them they are not in the tax code as a dependent.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX information is helpful,