How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is transfer money from India to the U.S. taxable?

Resolved Question:

If I wire transferred money from India to U.S., is it taxable? I want to wire transfer $8,000 from India to the U.S.

Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Transferring money from a foreign country to the U.S. is not in itself a taxable event. If you are a U.S. citizen or resident of this country, then taxes should have been paid on that money when it was first earned and received and not simply when it is transferred to a U.S. account.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Is there any limit to the amount of transfer?

Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

No, there is no limit on the amount of funds that you may transfer. Tax will still not be due simply because a transfer is made.

If the money you will be receiving is a gift from someone in another country or an inheritance from someone in a foreign country, then if the amount you are receiving exceeds $100,000 for the year, you are required to report the receipt of that gift or inheritance by filing Form 3520 with the IRS. But this is just an informational form and no taxes are due. Again, this is only required if the money is a gift or inheritance. If this is simply money you are transferring from your own account in India to the US, there is no limit on how much you can transfer and there are no reporting requirements.

Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you