Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

my father who resides in Japan wants to change the title of

Customer Question

my father who resides in Japan wants to change the title of the house from him to me. Is there any tax complication in this process? I obtained information that there is no tax occur in his kind of situation. Is this true?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Hello JA Customer,

Basically by changing the title of the home to your name, the IRS views this as a gift you have received. The information given to you is correct that you would owe no tax on such a transaction. However, there may still be some reporting requirements depending on the value of the home.

I assume that your father is not a US citizen. If that is the case, and if the value of the home he is signing over to you is more than $100,000 USD, then you would need to file Form 3520 with the IRS to report the value of the gift given to you. There is no tax due with this form, but it is a reporting requirement of US citizens and residents, any time that they receive a foreign gift or inheritance which exceeds the amount of $100,000 USD in one year.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. It is the only way we receive any credit for helping with these questions.

Thank you JA Customer