Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
5242771

I HAVE A RESIDENTIAL LOAN FROM MY THRIFT SAVINGS PLAN RETIREMENT

I HAVE A RESIDENTIAL LOAN FROM MY THRIFT SAVINGS PLAN RETIREMENT ACCOUNT FOR $50,000 @ 3.5%. FUNDS CONTRIBUTED TO THE ACCOUNT ARE PRE TAX. THE INTEREST PAID IS NOT TAX DEDUCTIBLE. SHOULD I CONTRIBUTE JUST THE 5% THAT IS MATCHED AND PRE PAY THE LOAN OR CONTINUE TO CONTRIBUTE 15% TO THE FUND ?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Anne replied 6 years ago.
Hi

I understand your question, and unfortunately, there's no easy answer to this one. It really depends on what you want in the future, and where you are right now. Without knowing your cash flow I can only offer generalities.

Contributing less than the 5% that is matched would mean you are giving up free money, so I'm glad that you recognized that and will at least continue that.

Pre-paying the loan will do nothing towards making your retirement grow, but will pay off in the immediate future by eliminating the debt, which as you pointed out has no tax deductions right now.

If you can easily afford the 15%, then you're still making your retirement funds grow for the future.

So the answer to your question depends on your cash flow really. If it is a hardship to pay the loan AND contribute 15% to your plan, then bring the contributions down to the 5% they match and pay off the loan.

If you can easily afford the 15%, then continue that rate of contribution. This also takes that contribution out of your taxable income since this is a pre tax program, which is another variable in this scenario.

This is as much a personal choice as it is directed by cash flow. You can also change any variable until you find the one that gives you the best option right now, such as contributing 10% instead of 15% and pre paying the loan if that works better right now.

I suggest you sit down with either a calculator or a financial adviser and run the numbers to see what works best for you.

I hope this helps.