How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my wife has the power of attorney for her sister the inheritance

Customer Question

my wife has the power of attorney for her sister
the inheritance is approx. one million,my wife's share is about 50%
and 4 others are to share the remainder equally. i think that my wife should file
a tax return for her sister,but how & when will the tax on the inheritance be paid.
if my wife gives her inheritance to her son's,how will the tax be paid on the amount
she gives to her son's
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Hello Cadillac,


Can you please tell me what state your wife's sister lived in?


What year did she pass away?


Can you tell me if any of the $1 million she left was part of an IRA or other tax deferred retirement account?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.



Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Hello again Cadillac,


There is no longer any inheritance tax or estate taxes in California, so state filings are not an issue.


For federal purposes, it may depend on when your wife's sister actually passes away. For the year 2010, the estate tax has been eliminated entirely. It is set to return in 2011 and will apply to any estate with a value of $1 million or more. If her estate does not exceed $1 million, then again you will have no estate filings to worry about. If she does pass away in 2011 and her estate is valued at more than $1 million, you will need to file an estate tax return and pay estate taxes on the portion of her estate which exceeds the $1 million exemption at a rate of 55%.


If it ends up that her estate is not subject to estate tax or whatever is left after the estate taxes are paid, that will be the end of your tax liability. If your wife plans to give her share of the inheritance ($500,000) to her sons, then she will need to file a gift tax return to report the amount she gave them, but no taxes would likely be due.


Under current law, each taxpayer is allowed to give gifts in their lifetime of up to $1 million before they pay any gift taxes. There is also an annual exclusion on gifts of $13,000 to another individual which do not even apply towards this lifetime exemption. But gifts that exceed the $13,000 annual gift exclusion must be reported by filing Form 709 with the IRS. Those gifts then reduce the person's remaining lifetime limit down from the $1 million tax free limit. So your wife would file the form 709 to report the $500,000 she would be giving in gifts to her sons.


If no estate taxes apply or once estate taxes have been paid, the heirs have no further taxes to pay on this inheritance. If some of the money is in CD's, they would owe tax on the interest earned by those CD's, but not on the face value of the CD's themselves.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. It is the only way we receive any credit for helping with these questions.


Thank you Cadillac



JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience