How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Anne Your Own Question

Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2075
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Anne is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I did a jointly tax return in 2008 and got refund..but this

Customer Question

I did a jointly tax return in 2008 and got refund..but this year when i wanted to do again a joint tax return with my husband who is in jail since 2008 got refused and they hve told me they made a mistake in 2008 and actually owe them 5000$!
I should get a tax return of 2-3000$ husband maybe ows them ..i want my tax return...i dont owe them...Is it too late to change it to seperatly tax return..i dont want it joint tahat i can get my refund!!!
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Anne replied 5 years ago.
Hi Jacustomer-eiottOed

Thank you for using justanswer. Yes, its too late to try to file separately for tax year 2008. However, that doesn't mean that you can't get your refund. If your husband owes the IRS or another government agency (such as Friend of the Court for back child support for example) the IRS can not just apply your portion of the refund to his obligations without sending you a letter along with Form 8379 (Rev. January 2009) Injured Spouse Allocation. Receiving this letter along with this form in the mail is the only way you will know for sure if your husband actually does owe the IRS or any other government agency that the IRS would work with in collecting their debt. Even the IRS recoginizes that you should not be held responsibile for your husband's debts to them and that's why this form was created, to ensure that you receive your portion of the refund.

NOTE: In order for the IRS to send you a letter and offer you the chance to receive the portion of the refund that is yours, your husband must have owed the IRS before you married, or this must be a debt that you would not otherwise not be obligated to pay, such as back child support. Regardless, you won't know for sure until the IRS either sends the refund, sends you the letter with the "Injured Spouse" form attached, or sends you a lettter stating that they have applied the $2-3000 to your debt.

My hunch here is that you have dependent children, and you were not aware that the IRS has something called an "Earned Income Credit" (which could easily account for the additional $2-3000) Please see below:

Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) Overview

I bring this up because depending on how long your husband will be in jail, you may have another filing status open to you while your husband is incarcerated. As long as you and your husband do not live together even 1 night during the last 6 months of any calendar year, and you have a "qualifying relative" that you pay more than half the cost of maintaining a home for, (and children are definitely a "qualifying relative" for this) then you may want to file as Head of Household. Using this filing status will bypass the need to file the "Injured Spouse" form if your husband does indeed owe the IRS or other government agency.

In the meantime, if there is a place you need to sign on the letter you received in order for you to get the additional money, sign it, and send it back ASAP. Remember there are only 3 possible outcomes for the additional refund:

1-you receive a check for the full amount

2-you receive a letter stating that you husband does owe a debt, but that you may claim your portion of the refund by sending back the "Injured Spouse Form" (that they will include by the way), and if you were the only person who reported income on the tax return since your husband was incarcerated, and if the children are your biological children and my hunch is on target that this additional money is from the "Earned Income Credit", then filling out that "Injured Spouse Form" may very well result in your receiving the entire $ amount anyway.

3- This is a joint debt from a previous tax year, and the IRS will apply the $2-3000 towards that debt.

I hope this helps you.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Wendy Reed's Avatar

    Wendy Reed

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • MequonCPA's Avatar


    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience