How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

do state tax laws apply to money obtained illegally from the

Resolved Question:

do state tax laws apply to money obtained illegally from the federal government i.e. social security fraud after one is convicted in federal court or do those laws not apply after one is convicted? I was assessed by the dept of revenue in Massachusetts for 19k with penalties and interest on money that I obtained fraudulently from Social Security--SSDI money, and now the state thinks I should pay them income tax money on the money that I collected over an 8 year period. My tax attorney is fighting to discharge this money by citing the 6 year statue of limitations and mass laws on social security money along with how I filed my federal returns with no malicious intent to defraud the state, but this matter could go to a judge if the dept of revenue refuses to settle with me for $1000. Do the same laws apply to money obtained legally versus illegally, or do those laws not apply once one is convicted in federal court?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 5 years ago.

Hello JA Customer,


All income, legal or illegal, is taxable both at the federal level and the state level. It does not matter if you were actually convicted or not.


While SS disability income may not be taxable in a situation where it is obtained legally, it would be taxable if it were obtained by means of fraud and the amount was not repaid to SSA. As far as the 6 year statute of limitations, that does not apply in cases where fraud is involved. They can go back indefinitely in fraud cases and assess taxes you owe on income that was not included on your return.


The best case scenario for you would be to try and reach a settlement agreement with the state for a lower amount than what they are actually assessing you for, because legally you are liable for taxes on this income.



Thank you JA Customer



Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i included my state income taxes on my federal returns, and there was no malicious intent to defraud the state or federal govenment. I pled guilty to social security fraud because i was making too much for their rules, not because I was not disabled. Is this money that I owe the state considered tax fraud now because I was convicted federally and if I still owe this money to the state after being convicted even though I filed my returns accurately and legally, why doesn't the state go after me for tax fraud, even though the amount is not large enough to litigate? Do you think the state will settle with me, or do you think they will want the entire amount, and do you think the state will send this matter to a judge? My tax attorney is trying to get me to settle for $1000, but I don't know if the state will accept that amount. What would be a "good"settlement in your opinion, or would you just suck it up and may payments on the 19K? I am making restitution payments to the court system now after going to jail and pleading guilty.  My restitution is outrageous, and I am hardly a wealthy person, and I know the state and federal government doesn't care about those things, but will they take these things into consideration?
Expert:  Merlo replied 5 years ago.

Hello again JA Customer,


When you apply for SS disability benefits and you are approved, you are only allowed to have a certain amount of other income while collecting those disability benefits. If your income exceeds the amount allowed, then you are considered to have gainful employment and not eligible for those benefits. If you continued to have earned income which exceeded the amounts allowed by SSA, and continued at the same time to collect those benefits, then this is intent to defraud the government no matter how else you look at it. It does not matter that you still considered yourself to be disabled in some way. The fact that you were convicted in federal court is just further proof of the existence of the fraud.


The state does not have to pursue you with criminal charges if they do not choose to do so. And most states are simply interested in collecting the tax money they are due without filing criminal charges. If the amount were larger than $19,000 then they may consider filing criminal charges for tax fraud, but they are really more interested in collecting the taxes that are owed to them.


There is no way that I can guess whether or not the state would settle with you on this for a lower amount. Generally it depends on your financial condition and whether or not the state thinks they have a reasonable chance of collecting the full amount you owe. If you have a reasonable amount of income or if you own assets such as a home or if you have money investments or any other assets of value, the state can and will put liens and levies on those assets, and would be unlikely to settle this debt for less than what you owe. On the other hand if you own no assets and you do not have enough income where it is likely they can ever collect the full amount you owe, then they may be willing to settle with you for a lower amount.


If you feel you do not have enough assets or income to pay what you owe them either in full or through a payment plan, then your attorney should present them with a complete breakdown of your financial situation, along with an offer for what you can reasonably afford to pay. They may accept your offer or they may come back with a counter offer, or they may not accept it at all. It really just depends on your financial situation and if the state feels you have enough assets at your disposal that they could collect the entire amount you owe them.



Thank you again and best of luck to you in getting a satisfactory resolution on this.



Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience: 25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Merlo and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience