How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I both will begin drawing an amount from our

Customer Question

My husband and I both will begin drawing an amount from our IRAs by the end of the year and it will be taxable. We are both retired and have been living on SS and My WA State Retirement and His Navy Retirement. When we begin getting an amount from our IRAs, where is it added to the income we are already getting? I'm trying to figure out how much tax should be withheld in order not to have to pay taxes at the end of the year. Can you give me some advice or some place I can look the information up? Thank you. Mitzi Mielke
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Hello Mitzi,


When you start withdrawing from your IRA, the amount you withdraw each year is simply added to the rest of your income, and you would be taxed at according to the tax bracket that puts you in.


I could help you estimate the taxes you would owe but need more information.


What is your total income for the year? Please break down the sources of the income.


What state do you live in?







Customer: replied 6 years ago.


Washington State


Int. Earned 932.00

SS $12460.80---- taxable amt of both SS ----is $7844.00

Mil Ret. 20796.00----

Wa State 10299.72

Total taxable income for 2009 was $39,872

and should be about the same in 2010

Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Hello again Mitzi,


Thank you for the additional information.


If you are filing as married filing a joint return, the taxable income you report that is between $16,750 and $68,000 would be taxed at a rate of 15% for federal tax purposes. Luckily you live in WA which has no state income taxes, so federal tax is all you need to worry about.


What you also need to keep in mind is that the more you take out of your IRA account, the more of your SS benefits will be subject to tax.


Based on estimated interest income of $932, Military retirement of $20,796 and WA state retirement of $10,299, that gives you total income of $32,028 without your SS benefits. You may have up to $25,770 in other income before part of your SS is also taxable and you already exceed that amount by $6,258 with the income you have from other sources. So when you start adding your IRA withdrawals to your other income for the year, that will make the taxable portion of your SS benefits also increase.


The maximum amount of your SS benefits which can be subject to tax is 85%, so the most you would be taxed on of those benefits is $10,591. If you were already paying tax on $7,844 of those benefits, then you could easily hit the $10,591 mark by adding IRA withdrawals to your income. So you should plan on putting another 15% aside to cover the additional $2,747 of SS benefits that might be subject to tax.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. It is the only way we receive any credit for helping with these questions.


Thank you Mitzi



JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience