Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

The office manager at the law firm I work at handles the payroll.

The office manager at the law firm I work at handles the payroll. Every two weeks she emails a form to Paychex with our hours on it so that they can cut our checks. Every so often she will write on the form for them to take no federal income tax out of her paycheck. She is married with two children. I am wondering why she would do that and what benefit, if any, there is to it. Can you just pick and choose when and/or if you will have tax withheld? I don't think our employers are aware. Could our employers get in trouble for not withholding payroll taxes because she is doing this? Thank you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Hello JA Customer,

There is no way to know for sure why she is doing this. It could be that every so often she just needs more money on her paycheck to pay a bill, or it could be that she knows she has paid in enough on her other checks that she will still be covered on what she owes for taxes at the end of the year.

Even though she may be asking for no income taxes to be withheld, the payroll company will still withhold the mandatory SS and Medicare taxes from her checks. And as long as those taxes are withheld, the employer would not really get in any trouble. All the employer is obligated to do is withhold federal and state income taxes based on how the employee fills out his or her W-4 form.

Since this woman is in charge of the payroll, it would be very easy for her to simply fill out a new W-4 form any time that she wants to change her withholdings, and that is apparently what she is doing.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. It is the only way we receive any credit for helping with these questions.

Thank you JA Customer